Our Brochure »Pay Now »
Health Benefits of Green Tea for the Elderly
November 27, 2015
Elderly Care in Aptos CAGreen tea is a popular beverage found in fancy coffee shops and in Chinese restaurants, but it isn’t just its light, smooth, and exotic flavor that makes this drink so appealing. Green tea is loaded with health benefits making it a wonderful beverage for the elderly to add to their daily routine. It can be served hot with breakfast, plain, or with a splash of lemon juice and/or honey, or it can even be served iced as a refreshing pick-me-up. So what makes green tea so special? Read on for some reasons why green tea is one of the healthiest things elderly adults can drink!
• It is Good for the HeartResearch has shown that drinking green tea help prevent heart health problems such as high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. It also helps to lower cholesterol and improve overall blood flow.
• It is Good for the BrainSome research shows that green tea can help prevent the formation of plaques that are linked to Alzheimer’s disease. It has also been shown to improve memory. For seniors who are at risk for Alzheimer’s, green tea is the perfect drink to help with brain function.
• It is Beneficial to Those with DiabetesGreen tea is often heralded as a weight loss miracle drink, but that isn’t necessarily true. What is true, however, is that green tea can help keep blood sugar stable and it can help lower cholesterol.
• It Can Help Seniors Eat a Healthy DietIf seniors replace sugary drinks such as sodas and juices with green tea, their overall sugar consumption can be greatly lessened. It will also save them hundreds of empty calories each day. If drinking green tea to promote a healthy diet, it is important that seniors drink the green tea plain or just lightly sweetened instead of loading it up with honey or sugar.
• It Promotes Healthy Cell GrowthWhile it has not been proven that green tea prevents cancer, it is true that green tea can promote healthy cell growth.
• Other Considerations:It is important to note that green tea does contain caffeine, but it is much lower in caffeine than beverages such as coffee, black tea, and some sodas. Also, if seniors wish to drink it for its health benefits, it is best when brewed at home or at a cafe from loose leaves or tea bags in hot, but not boiling, water. Bottled, ready-to-drink green tea beverages may not have all of the same health benefits and they usually contain added sugars.
If you or an aging loved one are looking for elderly care in Aptos, CA, please call Familiar Surroundings Home Care. Call today!
Santa Clara County: (408) 600-2760
San Mateo County: (650) 458-0140
Santa Cruz County: (831) 325-0890